City Of Horse Cave 

Click here to edit subtitle


Interested in starting a business in Horse Cave? Here is the information to set you in the right direction...

Click here for the AVAILABLE PROPERTY INVENTORY in the Local Historic District

Incentives may be available from the Horse Cave Cultural District for qualifying businesses

  • Electricity-Kentucky Utilities 800-981-0600
  • Natural Gas-ATMOS Energy  888-954-4321
  • Water-Green River Valley Water District  270-786-2134   
  • Sewer-Caveland Environmental Authority  270-773-2887
  • Land-line Telephone-South Central Rural Telephone Co-op   270-528-2361
  • Cellular Service-Multiple providers available-Bluegrass Cellular works best in Horse Cave  270-651-1400
  • TV/Internet-South Central RTC 270-528-2361    COMCAST 800-Com-Cast (266-2278)   Others available
  • Trash/Garbage pickup(REQUIRED BY ORDINANCE)-Hart Co Solid Waste  270-524-3323
  • Recycling:  Horse Cave provides a recycling trailer located at the City Public Works building for cardboard and paper only for City residents ONLY
CITY :  Contact City Hall at 270-786-2680 for information
  • Zoning    There is uniform residential, business, industry, and agricultural zoning in Horse Cave   See 'forms & ordinances'
  • Code Enforcement-Horse Cave adopted the International Property Maintenance Code in 2011
  • Board of Architectural Review    BOAR Brochure  There is an Historic District overlay in downtown Horse Cave
  • Occupation License Application         Occupation License Fee List         Occupation License Ordinance
  • Payroll Tax Ordinance     There is a 1% (.01) tax on employee wages      Quarterly Form-See 'forms & Ordinances'
  • There is NO net profits tax in Horse Cave
  • Property Tax Info:  Contact City Hall  (There is NO property tax on business inventory in Horse Cave)
  • Horse Cave/Hart County Tourism Commission   270-218-0386
  • Horse Cave Cemetery Information  270-786-2680
  • Police  Emergency-911, Non-Emergency 270-524-0011     
  • Fire Department   Emergency-911, Non-Emergency 270-786-3473
COUNTY :  Contact Hart County Clerk at (270) 524-2751,
  • Hart Co Chamber of Commerce 270-524-2892
  • Horse Cave/Hart Co Tourism Commision 270-218-0386
  • Planning Commission-Contact Greg Nichols, County Administrator  270-537-5432
  • Hart County Occupational Payroll Tax & Net Profits Tax (270) 524-3507
  • PVA (270)524-2321
  • Permits:  Hart Co Health Dept (Restaurants/food retail/septic tank) 270-524-2511
  • Permits:  Building and Electrical Inspector-270-524-1782, 270-929-7584
  • Permits:  State Plumbing Inspector-270-524-3509 
  • You can use an Employer Identification Number rather than your personal Social Security Number for your business regardless of which business structure you choose. Contact the Internal Revenue Service to obtain an Employer's Identification Number for your business. Complete IRS Form SS4 for an Employer's Identification Number which is available at . The instructions for the SS4 form are available at . You can also complete the SS4 application on-line at,,id=102767,00.html . There is no fee for obtaining an EIN. You can also contact the IRS at (800) 829-4933 for assistance with obtaining an EIN. Registering online or by phone is usually quickest
  • If you have employees in your business, you will need to establish the required federal, state, and local tax and insurance accounts. Refer to pages numbered 7 to 9 in the Kentucky Business Guide for complete information on your Employer Responsibilities.


  • Department of Revenue at (502) 564-3306 (502) 564-3306 or online at . The Department of Revenue also has a Taxpayer Service Center in Bowling Green at 201 West Professional Park Court; phone number (270) 746-7470.
  • If you work or transact business outside of Horse Cave and Hart County, you should also check with those counties and cities regarding their local business license and occupational tax requirements. Contact information for Kentucky counties is available at . Contact information for local occupational tax offices is available at . Not all cities and counties assess occupational taxes.
  • The Internal Revenue Service web site is a valuable source for reliable tax information and practical advice for business owners. IRS Publication 583, Starting a Business and Keeping Records, is available at .  
  • The Western Kentucky University Small Business Development Center (SBDC) in Bowling Green offers group classes and individual counseling to new business owners as well as assistance with writing business plans. Counseling services are free; there is often a small fee for the classes. Contact the Western Kentucky University SBDC in Bowling Green at (270) 745-1905 or on-line at for more information or to schedule an appointment.
  • There are also two non-profit organizations that offer technical assistance and make loans to small businesses in your area:  Community Ventures Corporation (CVC) in Campbellsville at (270) 849-2323 or online at     Mountain Association for Community Economic Development (MACED) in Berea at (859) 986-2372 or online at