Main Street Municipal Cemetery
The City of Horse Cave currently operates two cemeteries:
The Guthrie Street Municipal Cemetery is the traditional burying ground for the black community of Horse Cave. The earliest mention of the cemetery in extant records at City Hall is in May 1905 when a four-man board of trustees was appointed: John Willis, Horace Larue, Lewis Parrish and E. G. Strange. The minutes note that until this time H.E. Thomas had been in charge of the cemetery.
The earliest readable tombstone shows a death date of 1886, but many tombstones have weathered beyond reading or were perhaps not engraved at all.
The Main Street Municipal Cemetery was established December 5, 1879, when the city purchased 208 lots of private land already in use as a burial ground for city residents from Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Miller. This land constitutes the front or southernmost part of the current cemetery. The section just north of the Miller land was purchased July 30, 1907, from Alice R. Yancey, and the section west of the Yancey land which contains the maintenance building was purchased July 15, 1907 from W. E. Fults. The official plat of the cemetery was adopted September 2, 1908. At the time burial was limited to residents of the city.